Elections Newfoundland and Labrador is seeking applications for the position of Returning Officer for the electoral districts of:
- MOUNT SCIO
- TORNGAT MOUNTAINS
- VIRGINIA WATERS - PLEASANTVILLE
- WINDSOR LAKE
This opportunity will remain open until filled.
Click here for more information on the role and responsibilities of a Returning Officer.
» Returning Officers
Newfoundland and Labrador has 40 provincial electoral districts, each requiring a Returning Officer (RO) to manage elections and by-elections within the district. It is mandatory that an individual live in the electoral district where they are applying to be RO.
Duties include hiring and training staff and booking suitable polling station locations for elections and by-elections.
ROs are appointed for a continuous term, meaning they hold the position until they resign or are removed from the position General elections take place every four years and by-elections can be called at any time and ROs must be able to work these events as they are called.
Additionally, ROs may be called upon to complete small projects between electoral events, such as reviewing electoral boundaries.
To qualify for appointment, an applicant must:
- reside in the electoral district for which they intend to apply;
- be a Canadian Citizen
- be 18 years of age or older
- be willing to conduct him/herself in a politically impartial manner during the course of appointment (including in between elections);
- have extensive knowledge of the electoral district;
- be familiar with provincial voting rules and regulations;
- possess excellent verbal communication skills (including public speaking skills);
- possess excellent customer service skills;
- hire and train electoral field staff;
- be willing to be trained in the Special Ballot voting computer system and act as a Special Ballot Officer;
- be able to send and receive emails, operate fax machines, and use Microsoft Office products;
- have a driver's licence and be willing to travel throughout the entire electoral district; and,
- be able to work extended hours, including some evenings, weekends and possibly statutory holidays.
The deadline for application is September 16, 2016 (or until the positions are filled). Please forward your application to:
Elections Newfoundland and Labrador
39 Hallett Crescent
St. John's, NL A1B 4C4